Search This Blog

Sunday, September 20, 2009

14 Hours of Running

You know what, you may find me writing over and over about those "double" shifts, where you go to work at 10:30 am and you're back home at 1am. The amazing 14 hours of running around seem like a bizarre twist of reality, where you just enter the matrix and your mind takes off on auto-pilot. The weird thing is that after a shift like that, I am FULL of energy! I have gone skateboarding before, or gone out with Alex (that's before the age of Sami), and just did not get tired. Same thing this time. I know that when I wake up tomorrow, it will be hard to move a limb, but right now, I just feel like doing a million things. Here I am - posting, reading, eating, drinking...If only I didn't know how tired I'd be tomorrow, I'd go ride my new skate for a while too (even though the land of the free does not allow it, I'd break the law).

When I take off for a double shift, I usually listen to some super loud music in the car on the way to work and charge myself with loads of positive emotions. The suns shines right in my face, the beautiful smell of coffee tickles my nose from the cup-holder and I forget that I'm about to submurge in the depths of hamstersmanship and spend my day with artificial light for a few stinking pieces of paper (that are actually cloth FYI).

It's weird how we "sell" our time...but that's not the point of what I'm writing now. I'm actually happy when I crank up the music in the morning. (the BEST!!! place for listening to music is in the car, when you're by yourself!) and I think of all the poor third world country workers (I also disagree with the term "Third world", because it's a stupid discriminative label, but am here using it just for clarity), where kids are forced to work on factories, making NIKEs for the rich kids of the other side of the world. I know they don't complain, even though their childhood has been stolen, I know they are happy to make the $5, or $3, so they can help their family!

So, I'm not complaining, but on the contrary I embrace the fact, that I get to feed my family.

I guess the point of me writing this is just to say that I'm somewhat thankful of the fact, that even though I say "Bye" to the sun at 10:25am, I can appreciate the little things and make the wasted day be worth it. I hope you'll understand...there's something of quality in every experience, we just have to develop the ultra-vision to see it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Da byda chesten, ne go prochetoh, prosto iskah da kaja zdrasti :)))

peshkata said...

Embracing the hamstersmanship for a higher purpose as long as you sketch an exit strategy is just about as respectable as creating a new world -- seas, earth, trees, animals, and us. And hopeful yet working hard for the better future, encapsulated and enslaved, is just about the thing which, if existed in every one of us, would make the better future a concept of the past because it would be now. So, a great respect, man, for what you are doing. And even greater for never losing hope.