Search This Blog

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Holly Shit!!!




First off, let me just say  that these last few days Alex was a bit busy, so I had to be a little more responsible as a dad…

Holly shit! There’s a lot to do when you are a full time parent! I had no idea how much Alex actually does. I need to say a “huge big up your self and wazzup”, as well as how-the-hell-do-you-do-it-all to all the single parents out there, but above all – to my loving, devoted wife, married to such a disorganized idiot as myself, who hardly knows what the hell’s going on most of the time and almost never notices all the special preparations, needed for simple things such as a walk, a dining out of the house, let alone a trip. For the most part, I am responsible to load the stroller up on the car, and not forget the baby behind, but I sometimes do forget…well, not the baby – the stroller. Maybe the baby too.

I mean, when it’s time for fun and games, bring it on! I not only enjoy them, but sometimes even forget what time it is, while we play. This would be just one of the examples where “mommy” needs to take care of both kids.

So, these couple of days, I forgot to take a toy, or a pacifier, or any kind of food with us on one of our short trips with Sami, where we were supposed to meet Alex for lunch. The whole lunch was just about to get ruined by “a little crankster”, had Alex not just bought some of Sami’s favorite organic yoghurt, and just happened to have it in her car, right there sitting and rescuing me from the hell that was about to unleash. So, she saved the day once again.

Looks like everything I learn I have to do the hard way. Sometimes even that doesn’t help, so I repeat the mistakes. In my defense, on the other hand, Alex has been a full time mom for almost a year now and I have been responsible for everything else around the house. Not just the breadwinning, but cleaning, dishwashing, repairs and foot-massaging…hahaha, I’m kidding, Alex, don’t bristle up! I do help quite a bit with those, though, you gotta admit! Plus, I AM getting better, at that fatherhood business!

Even though I did forget all those things when we went out, I should just tell you that I passed the bath-and-going-to-bed routine with flying colors! Allow me to repeat myself here: Holly shit, there’s a lot to think about! The bottle ready before anything else starts, so you don’t have to hold a crying baby in one hand and mix the formula with the other right before bed. Prep the bath, the right temperature; the shampoo – not that one, the other one; get toys; undress; hold him naked in one hand, the dirty diaper in the other and your nose with the third, while on the way to the bath; did I forget – kind of try to hold his peepee with the fourth hand, cause otherwise you may end up soaked even BEFORE he gets in the tub; then bathe, hold down and amuse, sing and dance, pretty much act like an idiot; then one cream; another lotion; what should I do first – diaper or the butt cream? Because on one hand you and the changing table may get peed on, and on the other – it’s really hard to put the cream poking around the tight diaper; oops, I forgot…get him dried first…; then the clothes; then sing and amuse, because by the time we’ve gotten to the clothes, the beast emerges and the dark side of Sami is already at hand; and finally, after having struggled with the pajama’s zipper for five minutes, I start wondering…was I supposed to put socks on??? Darn it! I shoulda paid attention in class!  No socks! It’s finally time for the bottle! And up the stairs you go in silence, your ears resting with every step! Gotta admit that Alex sings “Az sym Suncho” while taking him up the stairs…No Suncho for me! Hold on, we’re not done yet! Is the window closed? It the baby-camera turned on? Is the radio on? Is it too loud?

And we’re done!

And I’m done!

I’m so tired, I’m ready to go to bed myself and it’s only 7pm! Wow, that’s so much work, I’m not surprised Alex tells me she just lays on the couch not doing anything for 10 minutes before she could move!

So, this is just how a dad handles the bed routine! Imagine if I had to do anything else! Something tells me I may actually have it easy going to work every night ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gimnastika???