Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Evolve or Get Old!

"Everything new is actually something well forgotten" people said when the bell-bottom pants became fashionable again.


Since then I saw the return of the hippie fashion with all the colorful clothes, the huge sunglasses, huge hair, and huge shoes. These days I wear Vans shoes from the 80’s and muse at the height of the old-school Nike’s, the tongues of which are “just a touch short of flapping on your knees”. Simple is OUT, multiple colors and patterns – IN. I remember how in the 90’s, I used to laugh at kids who wore their baseball hats the “non-fashionable” way – without curving the bill. These days I almost had to go beyond myself and wear my hat the new way. No more “Flexfit”, it’s now “sized fashion”.

Another thing I never thought I’d do: today I bought a pair of skinny jeans! After making it a point to wear the biggest clothes possible throughout my teens, as the years pass, my clothes had shrunk. Until today, when I jumped straight into the early 80’s with a pair of jeans, as snug as they get. How does perception change? How come I hate something one day and I come to like it with time? It’s possible, that I just get modified by the system (including the fashion industry) to slowly start accepting things I’ve thought ridiculous before. I know one thing for sure, though! I know that the day will come when I’ll say “there’s no way I’ll dress like this, those kids look like clowns these days, I have my own style”. And that will be the day when I’ll be old. My grandparents made me laugh so many times before, telling me I looked like a prisoner, because I wore earrings, or tattoos were for the most lowlife people.

I wonder what Sami’s gonna bring to our fashion table some day. It should be fun!

With the return of the old fashion, we felt one more comeback – this of the college years, where we had to calculate everything before we spent single dollar. We forced ourselves to eat pizza today! I mean what’s up with that! Poor us! The good news: we’re still having fun, just as in the college years!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

seriously u bought skinny jeans?? Im very dissapointed in you!!!! I guess you are a skaer tho...trying to look the part huh???