Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Blair Home Project


Handymen might just be the same in the US and Bulgaria. You employ them, they act like they are your boss. Come to work late or don't even show up. Call out with no consequences and you are stuck in a shipwrecked house, tiptoeing around piles of dirt...you go to brush your teeth, the toothbrush is in the garage; you go for a sweater, your closed is behind a pile of chairs. I really wish I was an acrobat to be able to roam freely in an environment like this, but even if I was, Sami and Buddah would make it all the more impossible to keep at least one clean den in the house, 'cause they go straight for the dirt!

Yesterday started sooo promising! I knew the home remodeling project, aiming to get to Sami having his own bedroom would be long and arduous, so I decided to launch it with a beautiful surprise-breakfast in the middle of an empty living room. A fruit salad and champagne. Alas, no one expected that 7:30 am phone call where the handyman tells you he won’t make it today.



I’ll save the details of the day for some home-projects book I’ll write some day. Here I will say that I was surprised to find scraping pop-corn ceilings to be more fun than waiting tables. I may just become a handyman and be the boss of everyone I work for.


  PS 12 Hours later....I'm not so sure...





No comments: