Search This Blog

Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Mother's Heart

Who am I to even begin to understand, let alone describe the complexity of a mother’s heart?! Like a vast ocean, rich with beautiful, colorful loving little emotions, flickering in the light blue waters, and yet, a bottomless pit, where unknown monsters lurk in the darkness, in all the currents, storms and mystery.

Sami’s had a fever of 102-104.5 F, (39-41 C) for the past 24 hours. Both of us know it’s most likely because both his top front teeth are brutally trying to penetrate the tender velvety gums, like a couple of razors, slowly sinking in…so slowly, that the constant pressure drives his little body crazy.

He’s been pretty careless about his fever and the pain. Alex gave him a metal pot to play with today, and the deafening sound of it on the cement, as well as all the toys, dangling with their array of sounds in it, so he’s on seventh heaven, but it hurts me to see how much she struggles with her feelings and emotions. After a sleepless night, they both passed out for an afternoon nap, while I’m writing this. My own heart is finally at peace, when I watch them relaxed. And yet, I’m anxiously awaiting for them to wake up, so I can torture Sami with the thermometer once again (he hates it…hates them all – the one, pressed in his ear, the other one on his forehead, the third – on which he has to suck)…we’re not doing the one in the butt – it will only piss him off more.

His room had a funky smell of a Mediterranean salad this morning. Alex heard from a friend, that if she put diced onions in his socks and a cloth, soaked with diluted vinegar on his head, it would help. Well, it helped the fact, that I don’t want to bite his stinky feet now, not to mention kiss his head, so at least he’s spared of that torture.

I know this too shall pass and I can’t wait to see his teeth, but, oh, my! I hope Alex makes it without a heart attack once he starts walking and falling all over the place. Be strong, my dear! Before you know it, he’ll be all grown and will have no idea, or even the slightest appreciation of what we’ve gone through. Just like you and I never understood our parents, who told us how much we mean to them.

I think I finally get it!

No comments: