Search This Blog

Saturday, July 11, 2009

We've Been Ferberized!


Ever felt like a sadist? It’s a nasty feeling for a vegetarian. Most of my life I’ve been trying to be an understanding, open- minded and compassionate person. I stopped eating meat over thirteen years ago, for the sole reason that animals were suffering!
So, to “Ferberize” Sami seemed like one of the most cruel things I’ve done!
If you have a kid, you already know what I mean. If you don’t, then one day you’ll know it, so … brace yourself! The Ferber method is a way to torture little babies and their parents in the name of everyone’s well being! Sounds wonderful, doesn’t it? Simply put, it’s a battle of the wills.
Here’s what you do: first, you need a crying baby who has to take his midday nap, then you need a rope, earplugs, and nerves of steel for yourself. You let the baby “cry it out” and he learns to sleep, knowing that you won’t respond to his cry, so it will be worthless for him to even try next time. Or will it?
Sami slept twenty minutes this afternoon and woke up, crying. So, Alex and I decided to use our psychological advantage and “show him who’s Boss”.
Five minutes later I was holding her! “Don’t go! We have to resist! He is only trying to manipulate us.”
Ten minutes later: “I’m going crazy! Has it been an hour yet? I’ll give him the pacifier.” (He spit it right out as if he was spitting in my face)
After fifteen more minutes Alex picked him up to soothe him, so we could be sure he was still able to breathe after all the relentless screaming…then – put him right back down.
During the last fifteen minutes of war, Sami started conquering really strategic positions of our stronghold, because he used a tricky little technique, known as “divide (your parents) and conquer”! We were way past the edge, each of us being torn inside. I mean, man! That was some serious crying to a point where we didn’t know if we’d lost our hearing for the few seconds he stopped! We argued for a minute before I realized that now we were falling to his prey. That awesome little monster won!
Alex picked him up after we had spent nearly an hour listening to the sounds of the inferno, fighting and being emotionally shaken.
And you know what Sami did? Gave me the biggest victorious smile he could ever pull off! That arrogant little hmm… brat… even made both of us laugh at him for being so cocky! But really, we were laughing at ourselves for giving in. Psychology education goes right out the window, once you actually face your own barbarian!
We have just been Ferberized!

No comments: