Search This Blog

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Breathless in Vegas


When the heat makes your brain stop working, when the sun burns your eyes, when your AC gives up on you - unable to keep up, when your car feels like a sauna, when your dog runs back home, as you try to drag her out for a walk, then...you probably live in Las Vegas! There's no salvation in the pool, my friend! You might just boil in there!

The salvation is called Mt.Charleston! It takes no more than an hour to get there, sit by a picnic table, play some Cafe Del Mar on the car stereo, open a beer, eat a nice home made sandwich and quietly read a book.

That's exactly what we did today. It's hard to grasp the idea how within 40 miles (60km) you can be out in the best weather possible, when your house down in Vegas is melting. But it's a beautiful thing!

There was something better to it today, though. Sami was very calm and quiet, and just sat and relaxed in his car seat next to us. Alex and I opened our books and read. We didn't speak, but our souls were in harmony.
There was peace. We'd hold hands for a moment, look at each other, check on Sami and keep reading. And at that moment I read this, and I decided to share it with you:

"Marriage is a relationship. When you make a sacrifice in marriage, you're sacrificing not to each other, but to unity in a relationship. The Chinese image of the Tao, with the dark and light interacting - that's the relationship of yang and yin, male and female, which is what a marriage is. And that's what you have become when you have married. You're no longer this one alone; your identity is in a relationship. Marriage is not a simple love affair, it's an ordeal, and the ordeal is the sacrifice of ego to a relationship in which two have become one." (from "The Power of Myth" by Joseph Campbell)

It was so right, and so perfect for that moment, that it gave me the chills and I closed my book and enjoyed it. Alex had told me this quote a long time ago: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. " by Hilary Cooper and it couldn't be more perfect!

I love my life! I love my family! I love Love! And I absolutely adore the moments that take my breath away! The art is to know just how to grasp them...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice!!!