Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Long Story...Pt.4


Our cozy nest had become too small for our souls. The golden twigs weren’t enough to blind us for the beauty of life. Time had come for us to leap out once again and trade comfort for adventure! This would mean a new attempt at flying, so we’d spread our rudimentary wings and do it all over again…but where do we land?

The search was on!

And if you already know me, you’ll know that for me there are three reasons why we live: to love, to experience and to evolve mentally. As simple as that. So, it’s only natural that our ticket out of here would be to wake up our hibernating goal – to go back to the university and get our Master’s and eventually our PhDs…in New Zealand!

And as most brilliant and highly ambitious ideas, this one also ended abruptly. Its short-lived happiness and enthusiasm got suffocated by the low numbers of students, accepted each year, the high prices and the tiny job opportunities.

Panic set in. And as disappointment was creeping up our spines, we were hectically researching Australia, Europe and the Moon. It got to the point where Alex sent me a text message in the middle of my shift, asking me if I’d go to study in Argentina. I said “ok”, except it would be a bit hard for me to understand them when they try to teach me stuff, considering I only know the swear-words in Spanish. Yes, a lot of swear-words, but that doesn’t change much unless I was going to study Freud again.

She got mad at me when she found out I didn’t speak Spanish and let it all go to hell.

Another hope had devastated my life. Another reason why I thought fortune cookies should be forbidden and not given to unfortunate people.

So, anal as I am, I devoted a few days to cleaning the house. Every time I’m upset I get in this insane organizing mode, where you better not be in my way, or I’ll drive you crazy with questions like “will you need this or should I throw it away?”.

Fate, god or just life has its own miraculous ways of guiding you through the darkness when you are lost. Hopefully my vehement religious christian friends aren’t getting too excited here, because I’m not talking about jesus (there is no walking on water involved, nor feeding of the poor with one fish). My biggest pep-peeve is de-cluttering paperwork. Millions of dead trees end up collecting dust in people’s cabinets in the form of saved bills, receipts, pay-checks and un-mailed letters. Amongst ours – this guide for the University of Manchester…

“Honey, you gonna need this, or should I toss it?”
“Toss it!”

But I looked at it and left it on the counter. So, like little worms, alkA’s thoughts started creeping toward that booklet and tickling her imagination. As she sat on the computer, devoting herself to her second full-time job – Facebook – she kept wondering what that booklet said... And just like a light in the darkness, her beautiful fingers wrapped around the pages, her deep brown eyes sank into the pictures of old, Ivy-covered buildings, and before you know it, she was back on the computer, doing her thing.

This time a new sensation engulfed us…everything added up! It all seemed possible! Even we could meet the requirements…well, to some extent. And, surprisingly, Manchester captivated our hearts with the welcoming architecture and classic European spirit…I mean – bars on the streets and people WALKING!

And there we were again – hoping! Counting on lots of work and lots of LUCK! Fucking fortune-cookies! May be, just may be they messed up my head for a reason!

No comments: