Search This Blog

Monday, April 5, 2010

A Long Story...Pt.3


I guess one of the toughest things to figure out is to realize when have you been utterly happy! I’ve always admired the simple true psychological approach to the issue: close your eyes and answer without thinking! In my case, nothing seemed better than my memories of New Zealand! If you read my first writing attempt ever, you’ll see it’s about this magical place! Even if nothing else about the 7 years in Vegas makes sense, at least the trip to New Zealand does.

So, as much as I suck at research, I started checking out Universities, maps, accommodation, jobs and visas about this heaven on Earth! And the more I checked, the more overwhelmed I got. I needed the help of a professional. My decision to keep this from alkA till I have some results didn’t work, because I have never had the right approach to travel. As you probably know, she’s the travel agency, research group and booking company we always use for the plans. Basically, this is how it goes: you mention a country or a trip to her and go to work. When you come back, the “bookmarks” button is bursting with links for tickets, visas, the country’s economy, history, hotels, infrastructure, nature, deals, currency exchange and best resorts. There’s usually a “Lonely Planet” book on the way from Amazon, with all the information about everything and a general guideline written down as a plan, which need be followed for the travel.

So, do you blame me that I asked her to help me with the surprise I had planned…to move my family out of Vegas?



A turning point for me is the thought of being 50-60 years old and looking back, asking myself: did I do everything I wanted to, did I see all the places I wanted to, did I give my family the best I could? And of course, I just knew that being a waiter in Vegas wouldn’t be what I’d be looking for as an answer here.

The journey began with a little walk around our neighborhood, when I told Alex, that this time I’d had enough and I was finally on board for the move! ( she had researched numerous scenarios and countries before, but the economical status of the US never allowed us to act on anything) The bird could not live in the golden cage anymore! It was time to start living!

No comments: