Search This Blog

Sunday, December 23, 2012

White Fish Thai Curry - the easy way!




Fancy Thai?
Too intimidated by the complexity?
Here's a simple amazingness:

Thai coconut fish curry

- 10 shrimp (optional)
- 500 gr white fish (any flaky type)
- green beans (a handful)
- 1 med size onion
- 1 green or red pepper
- a coffee cup size rice
- 1/2 can of coconut milk
- 3 kaffir lime leafs (they add so much aroma! Try to find them. If you can't make sure you have tons of lime)

1. Steam the rice. You probably have your way. I wash it, put it with 2:1 water : rice on the stove until the water boils. Once it starts boiling I add a cube of vege stock and salt, cover and lower the heat to MIN. Then let it absorb the water. Don't open it at all for 20-40 minutes. (depends on the rice)
2. Quickly sauté the fish fillets. I add a bit of olive oil to a deep non-stick pan. Just a touch of oil. I add the fish and cook it 5 minutes on each side (depends on the thickness. Thinner pieces require less. )
3. Cook the chopped onions, peppers and green beans simultaneously for 6-7 minutes until they are soft. NOT burned (lower heat)
4. Once the veges are soft, add SLOWLY 1/2 can of coconut milk. Make sure the heat is at MEDIUM or the coconut milk will curdle and then it's not pretty. I added even 100ml of water, to reduce the heat and increase the sauce without increasing the fat. Add salt, the lime leaves cut in halves, (I had saffron so I added a bit but it's not that important), lime juice and a dash or two of garlic powder. Let the sauce thicken together with the veges for about 7-8 minutes while constantly stirring.
5. Add the fish in and flake it within the pan, so it absorbs and infuses with the sauce. (I has a few pre-cooked shrimp so I added them in too).
6. Is the rice ready by now?
7. Like spicy? I cooked for my wife and son who ARE NOT fans of spicy food, so I just added a chilli pepper to my plate but you can chop yours inside if you are brave enough.
8. Mix the curry with the rice, garnish with a couple of roasted cashew nuts or peanuts if you have them and ENJOY! I loved it with light beer, and alkA had it with red wine. To each his own!

Let me know if yours came out ok!

No comments: