Search This Blog

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Three Small Steps



Remember when I told you that I almost cried when Sami got his first tooth?
What kind of an emotion is this? I have a feeling that I now understand one thing a little better than before I was a father. I’ve been covered with hardened volcanic rock. The lava inside of me has been seeping slowly and lazily through my veins. Preoccupied with what I had to be, rather than what I was, I was building a future, forgetting about the present and denying the past.
And that’s what was killing me. The horizon kept shining, full of empty promises and oases, while my blood hardened into black rocks.
But Sami changed that. He shook me to the core and even though it took quite a bit of shaking, I feel reborn through him. He gave a new meaning to my utter love for aleX and a whole new role to my life as a head of the family.
A proud dad!
It’s that lack of adequate reactions that the long period of dollar-chasing and ego-erasing had implanted in my head that lead to tears as I heard the spoon clinging to his brand new tooth a few months ago.
And now how do I react to this? Sami’s walking! Finally and officially! It’s been five days! He made three steps! His first true three steps! (Three steps we’ve awaited for the past 3 months) The ones that he’ll never know about and the ones I’ll never forget. A beautiful, stable little cautious boy started the journey he’ll walk for as long as he lives!

It was beautiful!

I had no resources to react, so I just stood there, quiet for about a minute, before I came to my senses and told aleX. A million thoughts must have run through my head, once again totally and completely unexpected. Whatever the reason, I won’t lie to you: I’m loving these feelings! I kind of like the inadequateness too, because what good would it be if I knew the end of the story before I started reading?
So, keep walking, my boy, keep being so amazed at the world, and keep amazing us with your love and excitement!
WE Love it and we Love you!



1 comment:

alkA. said...

three small steps for you, one giant step for US.
love,
mom.