Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Putting Yourself in Another's B-Day Shoes

happy b-day, alkA!

I so know the feeling of un-excitement when your birthday approaches. It is so easy to prefer giving up and spending special moments on the mundane train. It's just too much to even summon the energy to move a finger. We let problems amass over out heads like the Manchester clouds and allow them to shrink us down to mere existence.

But there's no way I'd let this feeling ruin MY fun! As I've found out that the joy of a birthday may well be the joy of those around you, who remember to do something for you.

So, please forgive my egoism, but I just had to make the most out of the special day(s).

I learned to make a cake - my favorite type - no sponge layers of syroped bread-like crap. Just the real deal - coco, sugar, eggs, and secrets.



Then, rather irritated by pre-printed, pre-addressed and un-personalized ready-to-give cards, wrote all over a photograph, where you can see her happiness in every detail, stuck it on a piece of paper and wrote all of the generic b-day wishes I could think of. Now that's personal :).

Then, just as I nearly ran out of ideas, she came up with the best one: why don't we go, risk our lives and reputation and learn to do some ice-skating. Even take the little shit along! Turns out, he's the only one who had something to complain about, as his little butt got seriously wet and we had to dry it by butt-slapping.



And then, the few Mancunian friends that we've made in a year chipped in in the celebration and excitement by organizing a surprise party themselves! One would think that surprises two years in a row don't work, but alkA still seems to be pretty gullible!



Cheers to you, my dear!
NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF A BIRTHDAY!



No comments: