Search This Blog

Monday, March 5, 2012

Pain Vs. Suffering


Life inevitably throws harsh lessons at us. And oftentimes our hearts are filled with pain. As we live by our own, as well as the social pressure that life has to always be glamorous. But the truth is that life often sucks. And sometimes it kicks us hard just when we're down. Then we feel pain.

And here comes the first choice: to fight it, deny it and resent it. Or, to simply accept it and embody the wisdom that this too shall pass.

And then, we have the second choice: to overcome the pain by accepting it and letting it run its course, or to perpetuate it into suffering. Then it's our mind, working against us, long after the last life-lesson is over.

So, I'll try to accept the pain and possibly learn to tolerate it. And then, I'll try to spare myself from suffering, as I know I'm then my only true savior or my own worst enemy.

*these ideas come from what I find to be the most inspiring psychotherapy - mindfulness CBT.

No comments: